The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS), invites researchers and academics to submit their proposals for the International, BRICS & Global South Mobility Grant. The BRICS & Global South Mobility Programme aims to promote exchange of ideas between South African academics and researchers and their counterparts outside South Africa, through research and teaching. This programme will assist researchers and academics to expand their cross-border networks between South Africa and countries across BRICS and the Global South, and is not an academic bursary.
The programme will support South African academics and researchers addressing the following broad research themes:
- Agriculture, Rural Livelihoods, and Development
- Arts, Performance, and Sources of Creativity (creative fields from various settings across the HSS, to study cultural formations and social changes);
- Digital Humanities (the integration of the Fourth Industrial Revolution in the HSS and Arts, an HSS perspective of digital tools, techniques, and platforms, and how these impact society, and how 41R technologies present new opportunities to knowledge production, research, teaching and learning in HSS fields)
- Ecosystems, Climate, and technology
- Global Economy, Development Challenges and Socio-Economic Alternatives;
- Higher Education, Teaching, Research, and Innovation
- Indigenous Languages (the development of African languages for scientific use);
- Pandemics, Medicine, Disease and Curing
- Pre-Colonial, Colonial, and Postcolonial Histories (historical construction of South Africa from the eleventh to the sixteenth centuries and link this to the broader region of southern Africa);
- Transformation, Race, Culture, Gender, and Identity
Only South African academics and researchers based in Higher Education Institutions, or at South African research institutes.
VALUE OF THE AWARD
The successful applicants will receive funding for twelve months valued at R 300 000.00 (three hundred thousand rand only).
Applicants responding to this call should submit the following documentation for application:
- Application forms should be accessed at https://gms.nihss.ac.za
- For assistance with the application process, please read the guidelines
- Certified copy of South African Identity document or passport
- Motivation letter (maximum of 1000 words)
- A proposal describing the project’s goal expected outcomes/outputs, as well as the implementation plan and evaluation of the success of the project.
Enquiries may be directed to Mr Senkhu Maimane at email@example.com. For technical queries only, please call 011 480 2328.
Closing date: 2 December 2022 at 12h00 SAST
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. If you do not hear from us within three months, please consider your application unsuccessful. The NIHSS reserves the right to extend the closing date or withdraw the call before the closing date based on the volume of applications received.